sábado, 22 de enero de 2011

First Kid Camp – January 19, 2011


Our first kid camp had 12 students with four students from the high school group helping me take care of the kiddies.  Although the four year olds were not participating very much the others had a blast.  I’ve already heard through the grapevine comments like, “I want it to be Monday again so we can have another English class.”  I really wasn’t sure what to prepare for them being at such varying age groups but my main goal was to give the kids of the neighboring communities a chance to get together and have fun.

And that’s exactly what they did.  I taught them sentences like “I am kicking the ball,” or “Kick the ball!”  Then, we each practiced saying each sentence while throwing, catching or kicking the ball.  Afterward, we went out to the playground and spent another hour playing out there.  They were running up and down the slide and then I taught them to play Red Rover which was so much fun.  Finally, they organized themselves to play Cops and Robbers.  

I was so happy to give them to opportunity to be all together outside of school or a birthday party.  And I spoke to them all in English for about 85% of it.  I had fun even though the overgrown yet recently cut grass demanded that I get bit up by a ton of bugs.  I look forward to working with them more in the future and hope that my high school group has more than just the five people that have told me they would be willing to renovate the playground as a group so we can add some benches and fix it up a little.  

I’ve been super busy and haven’t had sufficient time to work on my CAT but I’ve already set up some interviews for this week.  Plus, the 10% of my community that I have to interview requires me to interview 12.7 people which doesn’t exactly seem like too many.  

Couldn’t be happier with how my first month went.
Jennay

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario