viernes, 14 de enero de 2011

My little town up in the mountains – 01/09/2011


So as I’ve mentioned my town is gorgeous.  And as I’ve begun integrating I’m getting to know all of the leaders and learn about all of its intricacies.  In setting up for a meeting I’m holding on Tuesday I have learned the importance of including as many leaders as possible.   These people may just be the local shop owner (one of two in town) but each is crucial in adding credibility to the meeting. 

In our first three months in site we each have to complete a Community Assessment Report which we call the CAT.  It helps us understand our community better in many ways.  We have to conduct interviews, surveys and tussle through whatever data the local institutions have on our little town.  In doing so we meet as many people as possible and not only gather useful  research about the community but provide it with a report on the resources available and an action plan to move forward with. 

As I finished reading the CAT guidelines on Friday I read that I need to hold a meeting with community members before I begin my research to explain to them what exactly I am doing.  So I set out to start planning.  I want to start as soon as possible so figured next week would be best.  I asked my family their thoughts on the time and day would be best and where to hold it.  I walked down to the pulperia and asked the owner (who is conveniently on the school’s junta) and asked him what his thoughts were and if I could borrow the salon. So he said Tuesday and 4pm would work best. 

I made my way up to see one of the older leaders in town who is on several committees and who also conveniently owns the other pulperia in town.   So I entered Don Mario’s pulperia and made small talk and bought my usual peach juice.  I sat outside with him talking about the meeting and asked to see when would work for him.  He explained that for meetings like this he has to find someone to cover him and that it’s important to do so.  So the time and date is set and I sat outside with him picking his brain on the rest of the committees in town I didn’t know about and chatting.  He mentions that his niece Paola can help me with the flyers since she’s an artist. 

On my way home I stop by Paola’s house (she also happens to be my host-sister’s god-daughter) and we make four flyers to put up in each store and the church and one in the next bigger town over.  As I chat with everyone they mention I should mention it at the mass being held Saturday, the one mass held in town a month).  I feel bad making an announcement at a religious event that I don’t practice and mention it to some of the women on the church’s junta and they all assure me that it’s ok and a perfect place to advertise.  So I went to mass yesterday and made the announcement.  I was nervous even though I have been speaking in front of 30+ students of this community teaching regularly, it’s not my own classroom.  So I kept my announcement short and stated that I hope they could all make it.  The priest welcomed me to the county and assured me that I will find all of the doors in the area open to me which I have found more than true but it was still nice to hear. 

Today is Sunday, so I’m taking it slow for today.  I walked up and down town twice yesterday advertising.  But I think I’m going to take everyone’s last bit of advice and go door-to-door inviting everyone.  I worry that they will all invite me in for coffee and I’ll have to leave it for another time although I love having coffee with everyone!  It’s weird that I feel a little awkward about going door-to-door even though I’ve done if for countless hours on political campaigns.  But after the second person mentioned I decided I really do want as many people to come as possible.  It’s time for some serious grassroots in my little town up in the mountains. 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario