viernes, 14 de enero de 2011

Just dumb luck – 1/07/2011


The day that I arrived in town my host-sister explains to me that two of the high school boys had called the day before to set up an English class over the break.  I made my way down to the pulperia and when I got back they were sitting on my front porch waiting for me.  It turns out they are from the next town over which is about a thirty minute walk from here.  Their insistence had me excited but I also wanted more time to settle in and we agreed to at least wait until the holiday festivities finished.  So January 4th was going to be our first class and we would figure out the details from there.

In the days leading up to our first class everyone I met I mentioned the class to, explaining that it was meant for the high school students but once the adults got to organizing a time for their class I would be more than happy to teach them English too.   The day before our first class I called all of the students that had signed up when I had come to visit back at the beginning of December and let them know about it. 

Our first class had over 26 students ranging from 7 years old to 50+.  They asked me to teach everyday but I figured four days a week was a little more practical.  And we’ll have class for just under two hours so that those who have to catch the last bus can.  Once we got started there was a good bit of hesitance from the less experienced English speakers to practice speaking but once I dragged it out of each person they gained that confidence they needed and try on their own.  It’s so excited to see students open up and realize that they can’t just want to learn, they have to work at it. 

Our second two classes had 31 students each.  I was especially surprised at Thursdays turnout because it had to begun to rain pretty hard but I wasn’t about to set a negative precedent and not show up.  So I taught the class in my soaked squishy sandals and everyone got a chance to buy and sell different products for a whole hour.  They really love the activities I’ve set up for them but I’m quickly recalling the importance of simple and concise directions especially under the sound of the rain falling on the tin roof.  But every class they understand more and more instructions in English and still enjoying it so I’m still excited to teach! 

I’m so happy that those two guys showed up that day.  They have helped me integrate into this community in more ways than they can probably imagine.  I had everyone give them a round of applause the first day of class but that’s miniscule in comparison to how they have helped me.  Now I’m off to plan for this week’s classes and haven’t been able to decide the best direction to go in, but I hope it’s still entertaining!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario