viernes, 11 de febrero de 2011

San Luis – 1/25/11

The Festival de San Luis was certainly interesting.  It’s fifteen days long.  I went Saturday, Sunday and Tuesday.  The fair has a few stands selling food, a couple selling fair-like items and even a few rides.  Otherwise it’s mainly composed of la corrida.  La corrida changes every day.  Most days its basically a man comes in riding a bull that’s been poked, prodded and electrocuted.  Then, once he falls/jumps off a random group of tontos decide to jump in with the bull and run around with him.  Taunting him, even jumping on him at one point.  
I think it goes without saying that I don’t exactly appreciate this event.  Even after the poor bull is annoyed for twenty minutes at a time the guys that go in there get really beat up for fun.  I’m sorry but I do not appreciate seeing a man lying unconscious on the ground with half of his face hidden by blood.   Vivid, I know… I was there. 
But why on earth was vegetarian Jenny there – to experience what so many Ticos absolutely adore and look forward to all year long.  You all know me, I’ll basically do anything just to say I have.  I love experiencing life.  But I can say with certainty I will not be entering another corrida again just for the experience.  I’ll be just fine going to one of the bars that decks themselves out and dance with my like-minded friends and walk around running into people I know catching up.  That’s probably been the best part of all the festivals I’ve been to – running into a bunch of people even if I haven’t lived in that town.  It just goes to show how small town it is out here and I absolutely love it.  Although the saying pueblo chiquito, infierno grande holds true, I still really enjoy it. 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario