sábado, 25 de diciembre de 2010

Costa rican christmas!

So i got to my site on monday. It was a pretty quiet week since schools out and a lot of people go to pick coffee in other regions. So i mostly hung out with my host family getting ready for christmas and the guests who have come through. One of the host brothers jaime came in with his family thursday night. So yesterday, on christmas eve we celebrated by making over 200 tamales. I learned every step and got a chance to make my own vegetarian ones.

At night we had several families stop by to eat tamales and exchange "carinitos" little gifts that they dont want to call actual gifts. Its was really nice to get to meet some of the families that i had heard a lot about and even wrapped all of their gifts. We drank ponche that reminds me of "coquito" that mom makes back home for christmas but with guaro instead of rum, thankfully it wasnt too strong because i really dont like guaro. We had cake while watching the kids finally get to open their gifts after being rowdy all day and begging to open even one. They were all so happy with what they got, and even though we opened them at 11 they all stayed up later playing with them.

This morning we headed out to the potrero to see the cows that my host dad had gifted to his grandkids. It was so much fun seeing the kids so excited. The ranch is right on the side of a gorgeously green mountain and although i see similar views every which way i still cant get used to the beauty. My host dad and siblings are always so excited to show me around and tell me the name of every flower and town we see. I especially love to see how happy my host dad gets to show me the view from every spot constantly asking me to take pictures from every which angle.

He took me in to where he had just corraled all of the cows and had me take pictures from in there while petting the loving ones who wanted attention. Staying clear of the violent ones standing near him because the cows know better not to mess with him apparently. Next, we drove over to where is farm is to climb the hill to where he has his garden where he plants stuff other than coffee and bananas. The views were just as incredible and we picked the most beautiful flowers to put on my new desk my host brother gave to me for christmas.

I had such a great christmas! I even got chocolate and two shirts, one from my training community family and the other from my new one. I feel so fortunate to have been welcomed into such a sweet and humble family just before the holidays. I miss my family so much of course but at least ive gotten a few phone calls and and am still getting updates. Ill settle in and watch a movie later in honor of my brothers and my tradition but in the meantime im going to go eat some more tamales. Im pretty excited for the vegetarian ones to run out pretty soon, hehe. Happy holidays everyone! Hugs and kisses, jenny

1 comentario:

  1. Jenn..
    We really miss you here as well,,,but everytime I read your blog it makes me realize its a small sacrifice we're making for such a big thing your doing!!! Glad you had a wonderful Christmas..we spent ours at Jess house..Aj got a trampoline & like 20 gifts he of course was so happy & a great big bro helped Lucas open his : ) ...everyone well Jess & fam, Mom, Chris & Sam have left for North Carolina today...Mike & I head out Tuesday I'm so looking forward to the moutains & change of city life!!! Well Have a Happy New year's eve cuz if we don't chat before than & what's your phone # I didn't know I can call you..oh & do you have Gchat for gmail..we can talk there!!OH & post pics of ur new fam!!!

    xoxoxo LOVE YOU SO MUCH JEN...SO PROUD OF YOU!!!

    ResponderEliminar