miércoles, 31 de agosto de 2011

First Box of Books!

About an hour after getting off the phone with Allegra she called me back to say that she had received a package of books that she had packed for herself months before back home.  She explained that they were books she had gotten from a friend's garage sale and wasn't sure how much use I would be able to find them.  I quickly contacted several people who enter San Jose regularly to see if they could stop by the Peace Corps office in the coming days to pick up this package for me.  I recently became friends with a motorcycle messenger that lives near me and he did me the amazing favor of bringing the books straight to my door only a couple days after I got the phone call!

Saturday morning was like my first Christmas morning of the year.  I sat there pealing off the price stickers and glancing through the books.  It turned out to be a small enough box that I could have brought back with me no problem but saved me a trip.  I separated them into age range and decided which I would give to each school.  I was literally glowing all day that my initial push for books came through SO QUICKLY!  The school that I'm teaching at by myself til the teacher comes back from maternity leave has gotten a chance to watch English learning videos on my iPad and seemed to enjoy story-time with these books just as much!  One of my personal favorites being Eric Carle's From Head to Toe because the photos are great and it's a fun way to practice body parts while teaching "I can do it!"  I've found so many older students who don't know what the word "can" means.  I'm teaching it to the young-ins from the start.  That and FUN! 

I've spoken to Dad about progress on a large scale book drive and am just so excited. The kids really enjoy reading with me and I'm so in love with the book I'm reading now that it pushes me more to make reading fun here.  Oh man, just had an idea although it might cost me a pretty penny.  READ posters!!!  Off to finish my book on this gorgeous day that I don't have classes on since my teacher has yet another workshop.  Oowee, READ POSTERS!  I'm so excited!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario