viernes, 29 de julio de 2011

Story-Time

When I came back from my visit to the states, at the very last minute I found space for three Dr. Seuss books I have.  I haven't gotten my hands on any fun and easy books in country so I knew these would be perfect. 
I got the elementary teacher I work with to let me try story-time with the students this Tuesday.  I had mentioned it to him before and actually written the title of the first book we would read the week before when we were learning how to describe animals, and the order of adjectives and nouns.  So One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish seemed an obvious choice. 

We first tried it with the second graders which are usually the roudiest. We left ten minutes at the end of class. We sat them in two rows. The ones on the ends tended to get a little distracted because they couldnt see as well but we made sure to ask them questions and they would come back to us. They would repeat each line and in the voices I had made so they really enjoyed themselves. Just before the bell rang we repeated the three pages and they remembered each of the new words they had learned.  

Our little angel first graders surprisingly didnt understand as much as the second graders. They speak a lot more than the second graders so that came as a surprise to me. But we definitely laid a good foundation for future story times.

With the third graders it was time for the teacher to do it on his own and the kids loved it.  He did a great job, but I think he needs to work on his voices, haha.  It might help if he had had a chance to read the book before that day.  

On Wednesday the students had exams.  While the teacher is outside administering the verbal exam to each student individually I stay inside and study with them.  We tried story time again but this time for a much longer time period.  They LOVE looking at the pictures.  I had forgotten how crazy the world of Seuss can get.  It was an amazing opportunity to see them get creative.  Trying to explain what a Gox is however can get complicated. 

Working with this teacher is amazing.  He is always open to my ideas and hands the class right over when I want to do an activity with the students.  We have to work a little on how he runs those same activities though.  But I am so excited to have Story-Time once or twice a week with the kids.  I'll let you all know what book we make our way up to later in the school year.

I had no idea how much I had missed Story-Time in my life!

1 comentario: