miércoles, 11 de mayo de 2011

Cabalgata in my Town

I showed up to the cabalgata in my town just as it's starting to help with whatever I can and considering riding if the rumors are true that some people brings horses to rent out the same day.  Ernesto and I were unsuccessful in finding horses to rent prior to the event.  So I arrive, mention to a few people that I wanted to ride but couldn't find a horse and am waiting for the people running the event to give me a job.  I sit with one older lady who has a bunch of cool daughters and granddaughters around her and order lunch.  About fifteen minutes before the people are going to head out on their horses a friend of mine Pedro from the next town over comes up to me to ask if I still wanted to ride.  I hesitate because it's pretty expensive and is a short ride.  I have the opportunity to ride trail about ten times as long in a few weeks so I really couldn't decide.

Finally, I realize I don't feel like helping serve food and horse back riding would be so much more fun and my old host-dad explained that riding would be better because I'm basically giving them a lot of money.  In U.S. standards it's not that much but out here it's pretty substantial.  So I change into my boots (yup I knew the universe would work out for me), and go to find my horse.  Pedro said it was super "manso" or tame and I find that it is for the most part but really like to run.  So I take a few turns around the soccer field and we all head out right as the heavens let out a few drops. We got through the town a bit and head up the road that's "pura montana" the old road that's surrounded by farms. 

As soon as we start this trail it starts to pour.  I've had issues with my eyes not liking my contact lenses anymore so I'm wearing my glasses and can no longer see.  Maybe I should invest in a sombrero for the next one, or a horse as my host-dad has joked.  Anyways, some guys stop under a shady area and block up the trail, I try to get through because at this point we are completely drenched.  Finally, a man comes up and gets them to move, commenting on how even a woman wants to continue.  Avoiding the machismo I just add, "I'm no ordinary woman."

And my horse is off trotting the whole way there.  I tried to stay with a few friends of mine but I got tired of trying to hold it back.  A tipsy guy from the next town over takes interest in me and keeps me company since he knows horses better and can keep up.  It turns out he's Ernesto's cousin, as is most of the region, and he finally backs off a little.  When we get to the rest stop I find one dry spot on the back of my leg and make my way to get a drink to warm up a little.  Of course, only meat snack but the owner of the house invites me to something warm.  One of my students that has a crush on me finds me and tells me he dropped his sombrero and by the time he retrieved it I was way ahead of him. 

We got back to the main road and the rain has finally stopped.  At least now I can see the beautiful, fog covered, crazy green mountains around me.  The coming of rainy season has made me comment on how green everything is at least three times a day for the last few weeks.  But now I'm on a horse and soaked and it's been so much fun.  I ride back into my town and am so excited for the next one.  There's mud everywhere.  I end up riding the horse home and was going to shower and head back up to the parties but it got too cold and Ernesto and I decided to stay in and watch movies.  I wound up getting a cold but that's become pretty common for me.  They blend into the usual nasal allergies I haven't been able to part with.

For the next week everyone I saw commented on how they saw me riding.  They all commented on how well I ride.  It's funny because I know I don't ride well, but I guess I didn't have my eyes bursting wide either.  It impressed them which I can appreciate because if anyone sees me walking downhill in these mountains probably sees me as a two year-old.  But the best part is that my town got a chance to see that I'm not just an English teacher and have a life outside of the school.  Although the event is for a fundraiser for a family that has had very hard times recently, they've brought my community to have two large events in the last few months and I hope that it empowers them to stay united and work together to improve the town as a whole.  Riding through the rain never felt so good. 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario